miércoles, 18 de agosto de 2010

FORCED TO LEARN SLOVAC


If a student were to learn a language, it would ideally be up to his/her choice, one would say. Nonetheless, let us think for one minute of the implications that forcing a student to learn a ‘strange’ language would have. That happened to me when learning Slovak, which I had never even heard.

I was absent from the first class, to my own detriment, but the reason why I was absent means good and bad news: the disadvantage was that I obviously felt lost and clueless in the second session, not being able to recognize one single word either hear or read. The advantage was that having recently traveled to Sweden and Germany, for instance, I had that sensation of being lost really fresh in my mind: I had gotten used to moving around a city where no one spoke my language –sometimes not even English-, just by relying on a metro map. When approached by people who told me something I did not understand, I simply smiled and shrunk my shoulders, (like when the Slovak teacher asked me something out of the blue in the third session). Then I listed some languages I could either speak or understand (the romance languages, due to their similarity with Spanish, of course) and it worked like a charm.

This process does not remind me of when I started to learn English - because that happened more than two decades ago, and I never attended classes taught in English- but it reminds me of the time when I had to teach introductory courses to true beginners. My students were adults who were generally afraid of being taught in English, but had a burning need to learn it because of the usual reasons: work or studies. I remember feeling like an octopus as a designed material, prepared class, and used the context and personalizations to convey a message; like a clown when I explained vocabulary and even grammar solely in English; and like a rabbit after I had taught the class: sometimes scared of what was yet to come, and other times jumpy and enthusiastic about the next challenge. I guess teaching is a passion that reveals itself after you, over the years, remove its countless masks.

6 comentarios:

  1. I think that your experience was very interesting,and how you worked like a charm,your process like a teacher was great and how you assume the next challenge.
    I know the teaching is your pasion,i see it in your classes,for us like students is very important your experience.
    You are a nice teacher,thank you.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Teacher, I think that our experiences make us better, better person, professional, if we want, better in all things .
    Your experience was very important and surely, we , yours students, we will have ones like that. Learn other lenguaje is very hard , but when you do it with love all goes well.

    I'd like travel as you , because those experiences will make me good like you.!
    You are a great teacher.!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Very interesting the note! It is very interesting to know the experience I have to learn another language. I think does a good job in education and as my other friends say your experience is valuable to us. If we considere that we need to learn another language.

    Congratulations by your page.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hi Teacher
    The most important thing of learning a new language is the interest and the discipline for learning it. As well as to know the culture of a new country and her dedication is a good example to do it. Her strategies in the classes are very practical and organized. Across her experiences, it has allowed us to know the different didactics to teach a foreign language to be excellent teachers in the future.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Is truth teacher. I think that I need have many possibilities and experiences for improve the educational process how future teachers. Your experience is interesting because not all people have the same opportunities for learn a language in other country. Your experience allow find many tools for a great class.
    Thank you Teacher :)

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Hi Elena, very interesting your experience with Slovak, the best method of lern a language is in the context but there are some languagues very difficult to learn ​​. It was very impressive, you are a very good teacher of English.you are a teacher of the future, your pedagogy and dynamics create a fun English class. thank you very much.

    ResponderEliminar