miércoles, 18 de agosto de 2010

WHAT DREAMS MAY COME

If the government hired me to create a bilingual program for the public schools in my country, I would not focus on the syllabus first, but I would follow Anderson’s guidelines as to the practical aspects of teaching:
Here is where I start dreaming...
First, I would invest funds on creating a nice learning environment for children: I would have school classroom walls painted (lively colors); I’d buy plastic, washable, resisting desks and chairs; I’d bring MP3-CD recorders to play low, soothing music constantly, I’d supply each classroom with a TV set with a DVD; and I’d adapt four computer rooms with capacity for 40 students each (Anderson’s learning environment and state setting). Simultaneously, I’d do some research on what the students’ expectations and interests are as to learning English.

Second, I would build a big resource center that teacher could go to. In this place, they could find material from the most basic classes to the highest levels of English. I’d fill it with flashcards, posters, big-scale tales, handouts, paper, glue, magazines, scissors, and EFL memory games (mnemonics). Third, I would leave a room reserved for pre-schoolers, for who I would buy toys, costumes, and props that help them learn through games and songs (perception).

Fourth, I would have the alumni make a campaign to have an English-speaking school for all, including making posters in English, inviting students to participate in events in English (Show and Tell, Pet Day, English Day, English Club, Movie club, Song club, English Monitor Elections, Talent Show), and even posting “You Are Here” maps and other signs in English around the school (Overstimulation). Fifth, I would do extensive training sessions with both experienced and new teachers in every room, so that they experienced the feeling of being taught in a non-traditional way and I’d finally adapt the program curriculum to the Ministry of Education guidelines, but not far from a communicative learning approach.

This is what I would do in a utopian world, if I had the resources and the government’s approval… because when you dream you can paint the sky with stars!


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario